A deeper dive into the Niaz Williams situation


Last week, Ron Rivera made the shocking announcement that the Washington Football Team was shutting down quarterback Niaz Williams for the remainder of its season. This has prompted many questions and speculation around the league. It certainly has been a disappointing season in the nation's capital, a team that looked like it had the talent to possibly make a very real run got off to a rocky start at 2-9 and was, at one point, in the pole position for the top pick next April. This was before a current 3-game winning streak, including last weekend's 34-30 victory over the New Orleans Saints in backup Cam Anderson's first career start.

The press conference that immediately ensued the announcement left even more questions than it provided answers. 

Reporter 1: "Is the decision to shut down Williams a health-centric one, on your part?"

General Manager: "That does play a factor. We still see Niaz as a valuable asset to this organization and we are for protecting our most valuable assets."

Reporter 2: "I'm going to be brief with you. Is this franchise worth saving at this point?"

General Manager: "We've bounced back nicely the last three weeks. We are still two games back with three games to go, so saying it's 'back in contention' might be a bit of a long shot. But we're still excited about the promise of the future here."

Like many of you, I still had more questions, so I went to Ashburn, Virginia to study the situation further. Many had questioned the integrity of the situation, with some outside allegations of possible tanking, but after three wins in a row and watching captain Jaylen Carter lay out fellow captain Justin Jefferson on a crossing pattern, the intensity and effort seemed in midseason form, and it looked like a team that was even more in the race than they actually are. Don't worry about Carter and Jefferson though, I saw them in a dance off after Jefferson narrowly won a 40-yard race. Asked who his "best friend" was on the team, Jaylen said, almost without hesitation, "Jets". So, any questions about "tanking" looked like they had been answered. 

Then, Ron Rivera declined comment, but I got a chance to sit down with Niaz one-on-one after practice.

MS: "Hey, Niaz. First off, thank you for spending some time with me."

NW:  "Hey, man, no problem. I've got almost nothing but time these days (lol)." 

MS: "So, how are you feeling physically these days? Is there an undisclosed injury that nobody has mentioned yet? You don't have to be incredibly specific, or even share at all if you don't want to."

NW: "Nah, yeah, I mean, obviously, after thirteen games in this league, you're gonna be feeling some type of way. My knees, ankles, and shoulder are kind of feeling the brunt of being sacked 31 times, but certainly nothing that I'm not able to play through and play effectively through."

MS: "Obviously, in less than three years, you have been through as much instability and adversity as many quarterbacks go through in an entire career. How have you been able to remain positive through all of it, and continued to produce at a relatively high level?"

NW: "Yeah, um, it's been a lot...(clears throat)... and - to be honest - it's taken some mental toll on me at times. But every morning when I wake up now, I thank my Creator and my Saviour that I am right here, right now. This has been the best home for me thus far in my career. I know we had more team success in my first two years, but the future is bright here and we're loaded with talent. This has been the most seamless transition of my career by farrrrrrrr. " 
 
MS: "You said that this has been a seamless transition and that this is the best home you've had. Is there anyone specific that you love being around in the facility and has helped you through everything?"

NW: "Um, yeah. I have a great working relationship with our Offensive Coordinator Roger Harris. I love this Wide Zone scheme and how it gives me a chance to boot out a little bit more and survey the field from outside of the pocket. Justin and Jaylen, man, they're just electric personalities, and they make everyone that they're around feel good. Brandon Scherff is the best Center I could have asked for; he's been around the block and he REALLY knows his stuff. Cooper Kupp is one of the hardest workers that you'll ever meet and, if I had a daughter, he's the type of guy that I would want to date her. And I've even gotten the chance to get to know Amon-Ra really well, and he also comes from such a great family. And Cam... Cam has been so awesome. The only guys that I have been around in QB rooms have been almost overly standoffish, but Cam just wants to talk ball and coverage and routes and protection, and it really helps make both of us better at our job. I was so happy to see him ball out the way he did last weekend (hides smile). "

MS: "Awesome!! Well, Niaz, I had a great time chatting and really just want to wish you luck for the rest of the season."

NW: "Nah, man, it's great, Mike. I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. I'm not really the 'face the public' type and I just do my media availabilities because I'm obligated to, really."
 



So, it looks like Niaz Williams is the answer in Washington and they love what they have with both QB1 and QB2. Cam Anderson played incredible football against the Saints, but there seems to be far

from any sort of "quarterback controversy", nor has the team been put on any kind of tanking path. They've played quality football the last two weeks, they still have the #4 Total Defense in the league, and they play FOR Cam Anderson in the same way that they play for Niaz Williams. It might be too late to salvage this particular season, but they really only have decisions to make on Brandon Scherff, Jamin Davis, and Amon-Ra St. Brown this offseason. Add a high pick - even if it's no longer #1 overall - into the fold, and who knows what the future holds. Though it seemed vague at the time, the answers of "protecting their asset" seems to be more clear with how they have been managing Niaz.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2028 HFL Top 100

HFL Breakout Players - 2026

Journey to the Pros: Buchi Chidozie